Last night, after spending the afternoon cleaning up from our camping trip, paroozing the mall and galavanting downtown (wow, quite a vocab today hey?) Francis and I came back home to start dinner. Emphasis on "I" ;) I had all of the ingredients for a wonderful dish that I knew Francis would absolutely LOVE! Despite the heat, I decided to have the oven on for about an hour and a half...probably not the best idea...we were super hot for the rest of the night! But, it was worth it :)
Vegetarian Sausage Pasta Bake
adapted from Sarah Matheny's Baked Penne with Sausage and Peppers from Peas and Thank You
Makes 8-10 servings
1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
1 package of Italian Tofurky sausages
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups spaghetti sauce
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Prepare pasta el dente.
3) Coat a LARGE frying pan (learned from experience...) with cooking oil. Add onions, bell peppers and sausages over medium high heat until tender. Add sausages and garlic.
Let cook for 5-6 more minutes.
4) Add pasta sauce to the vegetable sausage mixture and mix until combined.
5) Add 1 cup sliced fresh basil.
On a side note...is that not the biggest basil leaf you have ever seen????
6) Transfer mixture to 13 by 9 lasagna dish, which has been sprayed with cooking oil.
7) Grate as much cheese as you'd like on top, put in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
6) Garnish with fresh basil.
Have a wonderful night!