First of all...Let me sum up my life in one picture....
Computers, reading, planning oh my! I have literally been on my lap top SO much lately. I have been studying, finishing up assignments, lesson planning...and my life has been looking a lot like this pic!
And now it looks like more this...a little bit worse I'd say! Oh well! I officially finished my last assignments of my post degree and have my last day of classes tomorrow! EXCITED yet sad...I have been with this group of amazing people every day for over a year and I am going to miss them all very much.
But I won't get all mushy on ya! Let's get down to business. First of all...don't let the name of this post fool ya! These muffins are probably one of the best muffins I have ever made. Weird, but the best. You'll see what I mean a bit later!
Healthy Fridge Muffins
adapted from Whitewater Cooks Cookbook, Healthy Fridge Muffins
2 cups spelt flour
3 cups oats
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
2 cups plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup grated apples
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup raisins
For the Drizzle
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp apple or orange juice
1) In a VERY large bowl, combine wet ingredients (except apples and carrots).
2) In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture.
3) Cover and refrigerate overnight (this is where I thought it was really weird. I have never made a recipe like this)
4) In the morning add the grated apples, carrot and raisins. Note: the mixture will be quite thick and it will be difficult to combine everything together. Don't be afraid to mix with enthusiasm ;)
5) Fill muffin cups to the top (these don't rise or fluff up much) and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
6) Heat the honey and juice and drizzle over the tops of the warm muffins! Mmmm...
Note: These are extremely dense muffins so they have a bit of a doughy texture. If this isn't for you, I'd recommend baking them for another 5 mins. Don't take my word for it though, because I haven't do that :-)
I would definitely recommend making these muffins! I am going to try to make a pumpkin spice version, you know, to keep up with my pumpkin spice theme!
Off to plan!