May 21, 2012

Happy Victoria Day

Happy Victoria Day to all my fellow Canadians!

I know it has been a long time since my last post.  Been a busy busy bee.  I have been on my practicum at an Elementary School and any of your teachers/student teachers out there...you can relate to the early mornings, late nights of planning and prepping for the next day.  I am NOT complaining what-so-ever though because I am absolutely in love with it.  I never want to leave the class I am in right now I just love them all so much.  It is going to be an extremely emotional goodbye...which I don't want to think/talk about right now :)

Onto what this blog is really about...FOOD!

There have been a few changes in my diet lately...one being that I've started to incorporate chicken into my diet.  That being said, it is local and organic and hopefully had a very happy life.  My body just felt like it needed meat about 2 months ago so I decided to buy chicken.  It was extremely weird eating meat again but I think my body needed it because it was very happy.  I have never been a lover of potatoes or rice or anything that carby so becoming a vegetarian was a little bit tricky.  It wasn't difficult...I didn't really miss the meat...I just didn't know how to cook many vegetarian dishes.  I had to be very creative in the kitchen, which was a lot of fun.  I learned so much and I will continue to experiment with different vegetarian dishes, however, I will be also be making meals that include chicken.  I'm not saying that I will be eating meat a lot or for the rest of my life but this it what I am happy doing right now.  I don't think we should deny our bodies what we feel they need so I am not going to do that.  I am also not going to give myself a label as a vegetarian or vegan because I feel like that is very restrictive.  I will eat what I what and feel I need whether that is vegetarian, vegan or if it includes meat.

Another reason I wanted to start eating chicken again was because I was not feeling satisfied by any of the vegetarian meals that I was eating and eating so many beans and legumes were causing me to have severe bloating and it was really uncomfortable.  I think that may have been that I was also eating too much of these things to try to satisfy my hunger or desire for something else, which never really seemed to work.  Luckily meat is extremely satisfying so I have really been enjoying that part.  After dinner I am not thinking about what to have for dessert or wanting a bowl of cereal. Tea seems to work just fine...most of the time :)  I was definitely consuming some unnecessary calories trying to satisfy something but it didn't really work.  Sometimes it did, but most of the time it didn't.

Today I decided to have a serving (1/3 cup) of scottish oats.  I realized that my portion size for oats was completely wrong.  I was never measuring but I think I was using around 1 cup, which is sooo much.  Now I am sticking to what an actual portion is and having a side of fruit.

I had a beautiful honeydew melon on the side.  1 serving of chocolate PB2 on top.  I decided not to post the picture I took because it was really really terrible.  I'll show you the one from lunch instead!


Amy's California Veggie burger, green peppers, carrots, and 1/4 of an avocado. Mmm...so so yummy!

Tonight I made a lentil soup, but I forgot to take a picture.  I'll try to remember to tomorrow.

Before I go I want to show you something I am so excited about/proud of!


I am working on a Science unit in my grade 3 class on plants.  These are the beans we planted 2 weeks ago from seed.  I was nervous they wouldn't grow very quickly but I was seriously wrong.  They sprouted up so quickly!! The kids are so interested and excited by them, which is awesome! 

Anyways, hope you all have a great Victoria Day evening!

Amy







2 comments:

  1. Amy's backkkk!! Finally!

    Yay for chicken! Its weird, during the school year I didn't eat much meat either, just didn't feel like it, but I was ALWAYS hungry! Now I eat way more meat (mainly because I am living with my sister and she makes it) but I am so satisfied after dinner and don't feel the need to snack! Amazing what a small diet change can do for ya!

    Oh shucks, growing beans in class - I remember doing that! :) Glad you're loving teaching, can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to read about the neat meals you make! Hopefully some day (soon) I can be so creative in the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete