August 14, 2011

Peachy Keen

I have been so busy lately that taking pictures of my food was the last thing on my mind. Then I remembered how much fun it is! I made sure I took pictures today, starting with breakfast, which included a delicious summer fruit - the peach!

My parents picked some up on their way through the Okanagan last week (they went on a little summer road trip).


Smoothie in a bowl. Contents - 2 frozen peaches, almond milk, plain yogurt. Now, I know this looks like a pile of yellow mush, which I guess it kind of is, but that doesn't mean it wasn't delicious! I added some 5 minute granola on top. Mmmmm... should have taken a picture of it with the granola...it looked much more appealing.

As I was getting ready this morning I put on a pot of hulled barley for my lunch. I boiled about 1 cup of barley with 2 cups water and simmered it for about 45 minutes. This leaves them a little bit chewy, which is how I love my grains.


I added some sautéed zucchini (from my moms garden) and carrots to the mix, topped off with salsa and hot sauce! An apple and water on the side.


My dad with the ginormous zucchini. It weighs about 10 lbs. Correction: it weighed about 10 lbs. More on that later. I really should have taken a pic with me holding it so you could really have an idea on it's size. Next time ;)

After work today Francis and I went for a 5 km run around Thetis Lake. A lot shorter than I normally like; however, there are so many HUGE hills that after 5 km I'm happy to be done. When we got home I immediately put together supper. 



Lettuce, carrots, cucumber, topped with basil vinaigrette, Amy's veggie burger and salsa. Miso soup on the side. Simple and delicious.

I use Genmai Miso, which is made from brown rice rather than typical fermented soybeans. Miso is extremely good for you, which is a bonus considering how yummy it is.

Here are some of the health benefits of miso:
  • Reduces risks of cancer including breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer and colon cancer.
  • Protection from radiation
  • Immune strengthening
  • Antiviral -- miso is very alkalizing and strengthening to the immune system helping to combat a viral infection.
  • Prevents aging - high in antioxidants, miso protects from free radicals that cause signs of aging.
  • Helps maintain nutritional balance - full of nutrients, beneficial bacteria and enzymes, miso provides: protein, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, vitamin E, vitamin K, tryptophan, choline, dietary fiber, linoleic acid and lecithin.
  • Helps preserve beautiful skin - miso contains linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid that helps your skin stay soft and free of pigments.
  • Helps reduce menopausal complaints - the isoflavones in miso have been shown to reduce hot flashes.
Good quality miso is a little on the pricey side, but it is worth it. It will last you for a very long time. You can use it to make your own miso soup, or add it to your other soups. Just make sure you add the miso during the last 2 or 3 minutes of the cooking process so that all of its wonderful health benefits aren't destroyed.

After supper I decided to do some baking. And what better way to use up the delicious zucchini than to make zucchini muffins.


Before.


After.

These are 100% vegan and 100% delicious.

Vegan Zucchini Muffins 
adapted from Fat Free Vegan 
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

Ingredients
Dry ingredients:
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used sucanat - low processed sugar)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (I used dried currants)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't have any)
Wet ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer (I used 1 flax egg - 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 2 tablespoons of water. Mix, let sit for 5 minutes until thick and gummy).
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini, packed
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1 1/4 cups fat-free soymilk or other non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
Optional Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
  • 1 teaspoon margarine (I used Earth Balance buttery spread)
  • 1/2 tablespoon demerara sugar (I used sucanat)
  • 1/2 tablespoon flour (I used spelt flour)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions


  1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners or spray well with non-stick spray.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk the Ener-G egg replacer powder with the water until foamy. Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir to combine.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined. Do not over-stir. Batter will be very heavy. Spoon into muffin cups, dividing batter equally among the cups. Combine the topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly, and sprinkle the center of each muffin with a little topping, if desired. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Total time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12

Makes 12 muffins. Each muffin without optional ingredients contains 126 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium; 3g fiber.


I can't wait to try these bad boys tomorrow. Francis was my guinea pig tonight. He said they're delicious!! SCORE! He couldn't even tell there was zucchini in them. Double SCORE! 


Well, it's time for me to relax and get ready for bed. I'm a sleepy sleepy girl. I will leave you all with some pictures I took when I went home a few days ago. After you look through these you will realize that I'm kind of in love with my cats...




Wouldn't you be? I meant come on...This is Coki, my baby.


My parents kitchen under construction. It's starting to really come together! Pictures do not do it justice.




Front yard.


MIA! She was guarding the front door of the house. Such a good girl.


Sucha fatty.


 Stretttcccchhhhhhhhhh.....



Zzzzzz.....


I think I have a problem...


Just a few more I promise!





Afternoon spent at the lake. A perfect day!





Beach by my house.




This seagull was going to town on this fish tail...


And one last picture to put a smile on your beautiful faces (if the others haven't already)! sweet dreams...I hope you dream about cute little kitties! I know I will!


No comments:

Post a Comment